CITY OF MALOLOS, Bulacan — The Provincial Health Office (PHO) has reported that there are 19 new confirmed coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) cases in the province as of Tuesday, 4 p.m., (June 23) bringing the total number to 323.
Dr. Joy Gomez, head of Bulacan Provincial Health Office Public Health (PHO-PH), said that of the figure, 15 were “fresh cases” while four were “late cases”.
Gomez said 12 are from the City of San Jose Del Monte, three from Marilao, and one each from Marilao, Meycauayan City, Sta. Maria and Guiguinto.
She added that 163 of the Covid-19 patients in the province have recovered from the dreaded disease.
On the other hand, the number of fatalities remained at 34.
Meanwhile, provincial jail warden, Ret. Col. Marcos Rivero, said 14 sick elderly inmates have died since the month of May.
Records from the Bulacan Provincial Jail showed that seven inmates died last May and another seven this month.
The Bulacan Provincial Jail was strictly locked down since the last week of February to prevent Covid-19 infection and no one is allowed to enter the facility to visit.
Kin of inmates may bring food supplies, medicines, and other needs but these are only received by the jail guards at the outer gate.
“We are strictly following the health protocols of wearing a face mask, both the inmates and the guards, observing social distancing, usage of a thermal scanner, and floor matting sanitizer,” Rivero said.
He said there is a regular video call time for the inmates on weekends to give them an opportunity to communicate with their families amid the lockdown. (RONDA BALITA Online)