DOTr, SMC set to sign contract for Bulacan airport

0
361
Ramon S. Ang, Vice Chairman, President and COO of San Miguel Corp., together with Gov. Daniel Fernando, Vice Governor Wilhelmino Sy-Alvarado and other local officials in the province (from left to right) Malolos Mayor Bebong Gatchalian, Marilao Vice Mayor Henry Lutao, Santa Maria Mayor Yoyoy Pleyto, Bocaue Mayor Joni Villanueva-Tugna, Guigunto Mayor Boy Cruz, Obando Mayor Edwin Santos, Balagtas Mayor Eladio Gonzales Jr., and Bulakan Mayor Vergel Meneses.

CITY OF MALOLOS, Bulacan — Conglomerate San Miguel Corp. (SMC) is set to sign on Wednesday (Sept. 18) the concession agreement for the $15-billion New Manila Int’l Airport project in Bulakan, Bulacan.

Ramon S. Ang, Vice Chairman, President and COO of San Miguel Corp., gamely answered all the questions of Bulacan officials led by Gov. Daniel Fernando & VGov. Sy-Alvarado regarding the implementation of the New Manila International Airport project in Bulacan.

The Department of Transportation (DOTr) said the agency and SMC would ink Wednesday the contract for the development of a new international airport in the province of Bulacan.

The contract signing comes a few weeks after SMC was able to comply with all the requirements which the DOTr special bids and awards committee ordered the company to submit within 20 days from the receipt of the notice of award.

SMC was issued on Aug. 14 a notice of award by the DOTr for the construction of the New Manila International Airport after its unsolicited proposal received no challengers during the Swiss challenge process which concluded on July 31.

SMC has yet to disclose when it intends to break ground for the project but has previously expressed interest to start development as soon as possible once given the notice to proceed.

The airport is expected to be operational within four to six years upon the start of construction.

The conglomerate will undertake the financing, design, construction, supply, completion, testing, commissioning, and operation and maintenance of the new international gateway, which is expected to ease congestion at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport, the country’s main international gateway.

For the initial phase of the massive international airport project, SMC plans to pour in P450 billion, the DOTr earlier said.

During construction and upon completion, the project is expected to generate over a million direct and indirect jobs, give rise to small industries in Bulacan and neighboring provinces, and significantly boost tourism.

SMC has engaged the services of global firms Groupe ADPi, Meinhardt Group, and Jacobs to design and build the New Manila International Airport project.

All three companies were involved in building world-class airports including Singapore’s Chiangi Airport, Atlanta Airport, and France’s Charles de Gaulle Airport.

Aside from the three firms, SMC also said earlier that it would engage a world-class airport operator to help manage the country’s future premier gateway.

Source: Philippine Star

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here