CITY OF MALOLOS, Bulacan — This is the call of a group of artists, sculptors, and photographers known as “Bahaghari ng Malolos” in connection with the “embarrassment” caused to the family by the monument of General Isidoro Torres erected in front of the newly Malolos City Hall.
Members of the Bahaghari ng Malolos led by its president Marlon Tantoco called on Bulacan Governor Daniel Fernando of his support with local government units (LGUs) to prioritize them in commissioning in this kind of project.
This is rooted in the complaint of the family of the considered Bulacan Katipunero hero, General Isidoro Torres, who did not like the statue erected in front of the Malolos City Government building that caused them to express disappointment and dismay during the laid of wreath held on Saturday on the hero’s 155th birth anniversary.
It will be recalled that the clans of the Bulakenyo hero were disappointed and did not like the said monument placed in the city hall of Malolos because it was not the face or even resemblance of Hen. Torres.
According to Roen Capule, the sculptor who made the Aliw Awards trophy and who also made the monument of General Gregorio Del Pilar in Carmino Real, San Jose, Bulakan, Bulacan, they want to avoid this type of incident that if only given the attention of those concerned, the outcome of the monument would have been orderly and acceptable.
Even the Bulacan artists were disappointed with the outcome of the statue because apart from the fact that it is not in proportion, they actually say that the statue looks bad.
The said organization wants Gov. Fernando to support them to have a resolution so that they will be the priority to take the commission in case the LGUs have such a project.
According to Toppie Torres, descendant and spokesperson of the Torres family, they are grateful for the city government’s initiative in recognizing their grandfather’s heroic act during the revolution but despite this, they expressed sadness, hatred, and anger at the outcome of the image.
“Hindi iyon ang lolo namin, ginawa nilang boksingero at mukhang unggoy,” the family said.
According to Torres, the incident could have been avoided if his request was granted offering the city government that they, the family, would make the statue and at their own expense, the materials to be use and the face image they wanted to be.
If anyone had been commissioned on the project, he would have at least consulted or coordinated with them, which was the request of the family before even planning the said project.
Bahaghari of Malolos and the Torres family want to have an investigation into the bidding process for the project because it seems that there was an anomaly that Mayor Bebong Gatchalian should investigate. (RONDA BALITA Online)