CITY OF MALOLOS, Bulacan — A health official in this province on Wednesday (April 7) said some medical front-liners contracted coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) after receiving their first dose of vaccines last month.
“The first to second vaccinations will be repeated for those affected by the disease,” said Dr. Hjordis Marushka Celis, response and vaccine cluster head of the Bulacan Provincial Task Force against COVID-19, on Wednesday.
According to the Department of Health (DOH), there is still a possibility for vaccinated individuals, especially those who are highly exposed, to still contract the virus.
Vaccine proponents and manufacturers said the jabs do not guarantee against infection but are highly efficient in preventing severe cases and deaths.
The provincial government has started administering the second dose of Sinovac vaccines as part of the continuing efforts to contain the virus.
Celis said it has been 28 days since some 900 medical front-liners in Bulacan received their first dose.
Meanwhile, the Provincial Health Office has received 6,400 Sinovac vaccines to supplement the total 14,400 vials allocated by the DOH.
The province is expected to receive this week an additional 21,000 vials to be distributed to designated vaccination sites in 21 towns and three cities.
Online registration for Covid-19 vaccination is also ongoing in the province.
As of April 6, there is a total of 19,930 confirmed Covid-19 cases in the province with 3,838 active infections, 15,558 recoveries, and 534 deaths.(RONDA BALITA Online)